[Linux-aus] Fwd: Software patents - managing risk

Silvia Pfeiffer silvia at silvia-pfeiffer.de
Tue Feb 10 01:02:15 EST 2009

Typically, if patents are discovered on which a open source project
infringes, the project just codes around the patent and re-releases
the code. This hasn't happened often, but it has been heard of.

As for audio and video codecs: if you really cannot avoid using
patented technology, there are now mechanisms for licensing: you can
e.g. get a license from Fluendo for mpeg playback pugins for gstreamer
and then you will legally use mpeg technology
http://www.fluendo.com/shop/product/mpeg-playback-bundle/ .

And lastly: the risk that a piece of software infringes on a patent is
as high for open source software as it is for proprietary software.
The only difference is that it can be more easily discovered for open
source software and therefore open source software developers - if
they are aware of patents - will generally avoid them. They will often
even take active action to find out about any potential patents that
they might infringe on and code around them from the start - which is
what happened with the open media codecs speex, vorbis, and celt. So,
overall, open source software will actually be cleaner from patent
infringement than proprietary software, since it would be more easily
discovered.

Does this give you sufficient ammunition?

Regards,
Silvia.