[Linux-aus] Finding open source software developers in Australia

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Mon Feb 9 22:33:06 EST 2009

Anthony Hornby <anthony.w.hornby at gmail.com> writes:

> OK how about I rephrase my question to hope fully prompt responses
> that I can use :-)
>
> If you have a open source development effort, lets say an open source
> library management system for example based on a range of open
> programming languages, database technologies and standards

Not Koha, by any chance?  I ask, because the company I work for already
works with Koha and all...

[...]

> Where would you start looking in Australia for competent and
> interested companies / freelancers?
>
> I have down-graded "top" to "competent" to broaden my options ;-)

Personally, I would start with the companies I know, and the people
I know, and follow up their recommendations.  Not, in fact, much
different to any other option I have.

Failing that I would consider dealing with a company that I didn't get a
personal recommendation about, but only with some reluctance and with
much more cautious contracts, etc.

> Though we have had to pay $AUD 340 per hour to Blackboard in the past
> to have system work done for us (who can say vendor lock-in) - and I
> would think that is a "good" rate even in top circles.  We regularly
> pay $100 - $140 per hour for experienced staff contracting on larger
> projects. I personally think this should be able to attract "good"
> skills.

Well, we run between $185 and $250 (ex) or so as our base rates, and we
have good staff.  Below that you can probably grab good people in the
$120 to $150 range, if you are both willing to deal with individuals and
(or occasionally or) to offer long contracts.  In my experience,
obviously.

> There is a real opportunity to push open solutions in many education
> communities at the moment but if the issue of support and expertise is
> not addressed this is seen as a "risk" and the conversations with
> management cease at that point.

Again, from experience I think you will be lucky to move anything in the
education market, but I applaud the efforts.

> There are dedicated support organisations outside Australia offering
> this type of support right now but due to the exchange rate nosedive
> these are less attractive to some right now.

It isn't entirely clear what you are looking for here.  Is it a multi-
skilled support company that can do development, sysadmin, customer
interaction and more?

Is it a company who want to take the risk of trying to move into this
market, or are you looking for specific skills to back your own efforts?

Regards,
        Daniel