[Linux-aus] Young Aussies say pirated software is OK

Anestis Kozakis kenosti at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 11:34:57 EST 2009

At 7:27 PM -0500 2009/02/07, Jon 'maddog' Hall wrote:
>  >That might work, bit then you have people like my friend who has been
>>bitten by badly written free software in the past.  The system
>>screwed up Windows registry files, and he had to re-install his
>>system from scratch.
>
>O.K.  All those Windows users who have never had to reinstall their
>system from scratch even when they only used "purchased software",
>please raise your hands.......I thought so.
>
>It does not matter if the software is "free" or not.  Badly written
>software is badly written software.
>
>The difference is that with Free Software you might be able to figure
>out what it did to your registry, and stop it from happening again.

You just took the point I was trying to make out of context.

Let me re-iterate more clearly.

He downloaded bad free software and installed it.  It hosed his since
system and he had to re-install Windows.

When he told me about it, I told him that that software was known for
screwing up systems, and gave him alternatives (both Free Open Source
and Free Closed Source) that I knew didn't screw up Windows registry
or the system, and just worked.

But because of his above experience, he refuses to listen.  He know
has the mentality that all free software is bad software.

He has no qualms about recieiving copies of commercial (pay for)
software.  But his bias is extremely against free software of any
kind.

This the point I am trying to make.  These kinds of people who have
this bias because of previous experiences with badly written free
software.

This isn't an issue I have seen raised on Linux Australia mailing
list since I just last year.  I don't know if it's been raised before
I joined, but I haven't seen anyone mention it since I have joined.

How much clearer can I make this?

>md

Anestis.
--
Scissorsmith - "At the fork in the road, take the rocky path.  it
will lead you to the dragon's lair",