[Linux-aus] Young Aussies say pirated software is OK

David Newall david at davidnewall.com
Sun Feb 8 08:03:09 EST 2009

Paul Wayper wrote:
> Jon 'maddog' Hall wrote:
> | I travel to a lot of developing nations, and this is also the word that
> | I get:  "maddog, all of our software is free software, because we don't
> | pay for it anyway."

> I do make the point about cost, to make sure that it's understood that
> we are
> (explicitly) competing on cost.  It's hard to find software any
> cheaper that's
> as good. :-)

There's a tricky thing.  For some reason, people often equate price with
quality, so when you're much cheaper than the opposition, particularly
if you are orders of magnitude cheaper, there can be this automatic
dismissal of your offering on the basis that "it can't be very good."
This odd bias can be even more pronounced against something which is free.