[Linux-aus] Young Aussies say pirated software is OK

Chris Smart mail at christophersmart.com
Fri Feb 6 08:31:11 EST 2009

2009/2/5 Charles Gregory <la.lists at chuq.net>:
> News article at news.com.au -
>
> ----
> http://www.news.com.au/technology/story/0,28348,25010496-5014239,00.html
> Young Aussies say pirated software is OK
>
> ABOUT half of Australians think personal use of pirated software is OK, a
> survey commissioned by Microsoft has found.
>
> The survey found 45 per cent regarded pirated software as acceptable in some
> situations, with the 16-24 age group coming in at 64 per cent.
> ----

And probably an even greater number think that downloading pirated
music and movies is OK, too. Same thing.
I've had numerous people tell me that they won't bother using Linux,
OpenOffice.org or the GIMP when they get all their Windows software
for free anyway. Price, it seems, is not really a determining factor
for average non-law abiding citizens.

Really, Microsoft probably should thank these people because if
everyone was forced to actually pay for each and every piece of
software they used,  you'd see a hell of a lot more people using open
source software. Piracy helps prop up Microsoft's market share.

-c