[Linux-aus] Non-Malicious Linux Malware?

David Newall davidn at davidnewall.com
Wed Dec 2 17:16:42 EST 2009

Randall Crook wrote:
> Apart from the oxymoron, I am surprised no one has done this before

Well, there was Robert Morris's "internet worm", back in the '80s, which
took down much of the internet. Mind you, the internet was a lot smaller
then.

> As to advertising it exists and what it can do.. Absolutely. The more
> people know it can be done, and the more education about using SElinux

The interesting point about Morris et al's worm was that it exploited
security holes which had been known and documented for years. Letting
people know is unlikely to change peoples' habits. Being bitten does that.