[Linux-aus] LCA bids -- wonderful presentation, but to what purpose?

Stewart Smith stewart at linux.org.au
Mon Sep 8 16:31:30 EST 2008

On Fri, 2008-09-05 at 09:17 +1200, Andrew McMillan wrote:
> I can certainly agree that a pro-forma response would have made
> everyone's job a lot easier though.  In fact a very nice pro-forma model
> for the future could probably be developed from a review of the three
> proposals I've seen for this year.

I prefer the idea of a checklist... perhaps a modified part of the LCA
HOWTO, to help both people reviewing LCA bids people putting forward an
LCA bid.

> Another thing that a pro-forma response might help to achieve would be a
> more timely delivery of the proposals, since they would take less work.
> On the other hand, if they would take less work to prepare is there the
> possibility that the groups putting the proposals in wouldn't be up for
> the required work when it comes time to actually run the conference?

certainly a risk and one to consider.

But the bid document is certainly not the be-all and end-all of a bid.
Talking to and interacting with the bid team is a decent part of it as
well - we want the teams to be jelling well together, have communication
and be functional.

--
Stewart Smith (stewart at linux.org.au)
President, Linux Australia (http://www.linux.org.au/)