[Linux-aus] LCA bids -- wonderful presentation, but to what purpose?

Andrew McMillan andrew at mcmillan.net.nz
Fri Sep 5 07:17:01 EST 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 21:38 +0930, Glen Turner wrote:

> It is sad to think that none of the high quality of the presentation
> of the bid has an effect on the quality of the delivered conference.
> [Being careful to be clear about presentation v. content here]

One thing that the polish does indicate, I think, is that there is some
significant level of backing by the promotional department of each of
the cities concerned, and I also think that this does have the potential
to have an effect on the delivered conference.

From a quick look, it seems that *all* of the bids are to pretty much
the same level of quality, too, which has to be very positive for the
future of the conference.

I can certainly agree that a pro-forma response would have made
everyone's job a lot easier though.  In fact a very nice pro-forma model
for the future could probably be developed from a review of the three
proposals I've seen for this year.

Another thing that a pro-forma response might help to achieve would be a
more timely delivery of the proposals, since they would take less work.
On the other hand, if they would take less work to prepare is there the
possibility that the groups putting the proposals in wouldn't be up for
the required work when it comes time to actually run the conference?

Cheers,
					Andrew.

Andrew @ McMillan .Net .NZ                         Porirua, New Zealand
http://andrew.mcmillan.net.nz/                    Phone: +64(272)DEBIAN
       Wagner's music is better than it sounds.  -- Mark Twain