[Linux-aus] u.s. Export Control Classification Number

Glen Turner gdt at gdt.id.au
Tue Sep 2 10:00:03 EST 2008

Peter Miller wrote:
> I have just had the weirdest thing land in my inbox.  The mail headers
> appear to be genuine.
>
>         In order to determine whether the software is subject to Federal
>         Export Administration Regulations (EAR), we are requesting that
>         you provide the Export Control Classification Number (ECCN) that
>         classifies this software according to the Commerce Control List.
>         This number is used to determine if an export license is
>         required by the U.S. Department of Commerce in order for our
>         company to export the software to our affiliates abroad and/or
>         to provide access to our non-US citizen employees.
>
> The "product" they refer to is SRecord (srecord.sf.net)

Hi Peter,

I've had to provide such documentation when importing routers from the
USA containing crypto cards.

If you don't think it is spam then I'd write back pointing out that you
are the software supplier, not the exporter from the USA. Those arranging
the export are those responsible for arranging the documentation. Determining
the ECCN -- and accepting the liability of that choice -- falls to the
exporter.

Cheers, Glen

--
  Glen Turner   <http://www.gdt.id.au/~gdt/>