[Linux-aus] Microsoft drops prices to compete with Linux on low-cost laptops

David Newall davidn at davidnewall.com
Mon May 12 23:13:24 EST 2008

Brent Wallis wrote:
> HP will not supply XP pre-installed past June 30 this year,
> Dell were going to do the same but have announced only last week that
> they will do a downgrade past that date.
> Lenovo have not announced anything yet.
>
> I reckon HP and IBM will follow Dell....too many sites out there that
> would suffer if Vista was forced onto them. There are too many techs
> in MS land that havent even looked at Vista yet..there are many apps
> out there that just won;t work with it and probably never will.

It was much the same when XP came out, when people stayed with 2000
instead of switching to XP.  It didn't hurt MS then and it probably
won't hurt them now, either.  I think MS Office is what drives their
income, anyway.  People want (are convinced to get) the latest Office;
and that drives them to the latest Windows.