[Linux-aus] [LACTTE] Council meeting minutes 15/05/2008

Stewart Smith stewart at linux.org.au
Thu May 22 07:31:06 EST 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-21 at 14:12 +0930, David Lloyd wrote:
> Local Government (and possibly the various Parliaments) typically have a
>   strict method to go "in confidence". I don't see a reason for Linux
> Australia to have such a complex policy as a Local Government Authority
> or Parliament, but might I suggest something along the lines of:
>
> 1. If the Council wishes to discuss a matter in confidence, then the
>     Council shall propose a motion to do so and give a reason.
>
> Typically you'd see something like:
>
> "That Agenda Item 1.1, about David Lloyd's sanity be dealt with in
> confidence as it relates to an employee's personal situation".
>
> This keeps things transparent and also leaves a record of WHY something
> isn't in the public minutes. An archivist from later on could mistakenly
> publicise what it is (in this case Package 1-4) if the context was not
> clear in the minutes.

We've done this in the past (even to the degree of not putting in what
we discussed, but just that we had a non-public agenda item discussed).
Usually relating to legal issues. Back in the day, Andrew Cowie had a
great set of scripts that properly produced public and private minutes
HTML from a common source.

cheers,
stewart
--