[Linux-aus] Australian Federal Budget - software depreciation

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Wed May 14 04:55:15 EST 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 11:25 AM,  <ajdlinux at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/14/08, Marco Ostini <m.ostini at uq.edu.au> wrote:
>  > Greetings all,
>  >
>  > So Last night the Australian Federal Budget was released, the first from a
>  > new Federal Government in a while.
>  >
>  > The First Budget of a new government is usually where they attempt to make
>  > their mark and be bold. It was one of our best chances to get FOSS
>  > integrated into Australian governance, but so far I can see no real
>  > evidence of that, despite the submission LA made.
>  >
>  > After reflection that's not too surprising, as there has been minimal one
>  > on one contact with the Federal Treasurer. This measure is normally highly
>  > desirable in concert with submissions, to communicate a specific message
>  > through to the decision making process.
>  >
>  > After reading the Australian Budget documents last night I came across this
>  > interesting detail.
>  >
>  > Within 'Revenue Measures' Under the title of 'Capital gains tax' there's
>  > the option of 'Depreciation of computer software'. Worth a substantial
>  > quantity of money, It's specifically forecasted as:
>  >
>  > $m    2008-09         15.0
>  > $m    2009-10         300.0
>  > $m    2010-11         681.0
>  > $m    2011-12         318.0
>  >
>  > That's 1.3 Billion forecasted in the next 4 years.
>  >
>  > You'll find the document here:
>  > http://www.aph.gov.au/budget/2008-09/content/bp2/html/revenue-01.htm
>  >
>  > If I'm reading this correctly, the Government expects to make about 1.3
>  > Billion on 'Depreciation of computer software'.(???) Could anyone who
>  > understands this better than I explain it to the list?
>  >
>  > As for influencing the Federal Government to use and include FOSS, we need
>  > to persistently continue in this endeavour.
>
>  http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23693791-15306,00.html

>  capital expenditure on in-house computer software is now 4 years
>  rather than 2.5.
>
>  In-house software is defined as "computer software or the right to use
>  computer software that is acquired, developed or developed by someone
>  else and that is mainly used by the taxpayer in performing the
>  functions for which the software was developed."

More info from the media:
http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,23693791-16123,00.html

and not quite off topic but more pertinent to FOSS I think:

http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,23697345-16123,00.html

--
Ubuntu Hardy 8.04
The less you know, the more you believe. - Bono