[Linux-aus] Microsoft drops prices to compete with Linux on low-cost laptops

Brenda Aynsley bpa at iss.net.au
Mon May 12 06:48:02 UTC 2008

Bret Busby wrote:
> On Sun, 11 May 2008, Glen Turner wrote:
>
>> Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 22:29:36 +0930
>> From: Glen Turner <gdt at gdt.id.au>
>> To: Linux Australia <linux-aus at linux.org.au>
>> Subject: [Linux-aus] Microsoft drops prices to compete with Linux on low-cost
>>     laptops
>>
>> <http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/145719/microsoft_to_limit_capabilities_of_cheap_laptops.html>
>>
>> Microsoft Xp Home to be US$32 (US$26 in China & India).  Minus another
>> US$10 if signs Market Development Agreement  [Importantly, the MDA
>> prevents the signatory from recommending Linux if a Windows alternative
>> is available.]
>>
>> Offer restricted to
>>  CPU = Via | Intel Atom | others <= 1GHz
>>  RAM <= 1GB
>>  Hard disk <= 80GB
>>  Screen <= 10.2in
>>
>> Interesting how low Microsoft will go when faced with real
>> competition.
>>

> Interesting, given that I understand that, as from the end of next
> month, Microsoft Windows XP is no longer allowed by Microsoft, to be
> sold.

keep up Brett ;), XP Home is to remain on the market until 2010 I think
it is, XP pro is withdrawn at the end of this financial year but
security updates continue to 2014 or something like that
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3221

Ballmer: You want XP, we'll keep XP
http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9927721-7.html

cheers
brenda

--
Brenda Aynsley, FACS, PCP
Director Oz Business Partners http://www.ozbusinesspartners.com/

Chairman Pearcey Foundation, SA Committee www.pearcey.org.au
Immediate Past Chairman ACS SA Branch www.acs.org.au/sa

*Produced by Ubuntu and Mozilla Thunderbird*