[Linux-aus] Council of Australian Linux User Groups

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Sun Mar 16 13:32:11 EST 2008

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 at 22:08, Paul Wayper <paulway at mabula.net> wrote:
> Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> | How open would the list and IRC meetings be? How would we determine who
> | is welcome? I take it that each LUG appoints a representative, and only
> | those reps are allowed on the mailing list and IRC channel?
> |
> | This becomes even more important when funding a F2F meeting. Do we have
> | representatives from all 30+ LUGs present? How do we define a LUG? Is
> | there a requirement of membership size? Does the group have to be
> | specifically focused on Linux and/or FOSS?
> |
> | If I unilaterally declare a users group of one, based in my house and
> | focused on *NIX (which _might_ include Linux), will LA pay for me to fly
> | to $location for an F2F conf?
>
> I would hope that really it's just going to come down to common sense.  A
> LUG of one is amusing but hardly likely to get any air time with LA; if the
> Broome LUG with 50 occasional attendees but no formal committee knocked on
> their door I'm sure they'd be forthcoming.
>
> Have fun,
>
> Paul, speaking as a person who organises events for a LUG with no formal
> membership or committee.

Obviously I was being flippant to make a point :)

The question remains, what is LA's definition of a LUG? A strict definition
might be an officially incorporated organisation that has an exclusive Linux
focus, a constitution, a committee, AGMs and all that jazz. While I happen to
be a member of such a group, I do recognise that other LUGs are much more
informal. LA's definition of a LUG needs to be more relaxed as a consequence,
but how relaxed must it be?

The answer isn't easy.

--
I used to be into S&M, necrophilia, and bestiality - then I realised I was
just beating a dead horse.