[Linux-aus] Eee PC and Windows - http://www.stuff.co.nz/4439865a28.html

Martin Visser martinvisser99 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 05:50:04 EST 2008

This is actually a Reuters syndicated article - Stuff are just
relaying the same story as many other sites.

Actually, referring to a similar article at Zdnet.co.uk
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1000000091,39366010,00.htm> ,
while it quotes much of the Reuters feed, it also indicates that they
did a little more research and provided possibly more balance (or bias
depending on your POV), as it follows the JP Morgan quote with -

"However, an Asus spokesperson told ZDNet.co.uk on Monday: "We feel
Linux has an advantage over something like Windows XP. The only
knowledge that it requires is perhaps the knowledge of a mobile
interface."

So I think a more valid view would be that, for MOST people, if you
bought  the eeePC as a laptop in the expectation you could go straight
from an XP desktop to it without any relearning you might well be a
little shocked. However if your mindset was as open as switching
between your desktop and your mobile (which in almost every instance
looks nothing like Windows) you might find it less daunting.

In any case, for the eeePC, it will be up to the market to decide, I
imagine both options will be equally available.

Martin

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 12:56 PM, Kanchana Wickremasinghe
<kanchana at fossmart.net> wrote:
> Have you all seen this.
>
>  Take a look at the comment by possibly a MS paid Analyst.
>
>  "A Windows Eee PC is more attractive to buyers because people are just
>  not used to using Linux-based computers," said Alvin Kwock, analyst at
>  JP Morgan.
>
>  This is rubbsh. My kids 4 1/2 and 6 1/2 uses Ubuntu without having any
>  issue with it. They have used Eee PC with out any issues (LINUX of
>  course). The way Eee PC is created there is no need for someone to
>  understand the underlying OS. Analyst should think about twice before
>  making such comments.
>
>  I hope Don or someone who has links to Stuff will write a very good
>  reply or a blogg about this. Where we can make our comments.
>
>  --
>  best regards,
>
>  Kanchana Wickremasinghe
>  Chief Architect