[Linux-aus] New ABC services

Andrew Donnellan ajdlinux at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 21:08:20 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 1:39 AM, Bret Busby <bret at busby.net> wrote:
>  This is probably naive, but why can't they just publish the video stuff
>  as .mpg or .avi files?
>
>  That would eliminate proprietary software requirements, wouldn't it?

Actually the ABC is very good about this already - the 'vodcast'
service has always used MP4 and non-DRMed WMV - but I suppose that's
because it was designed to be played on mobile devices which usually
only support those formats.

Just to clarify things, I'm not talking about ABC Now, which just
features the videos/audio on their site, I'm not talking about the
[v|p]odcasts, which are good already. ABC Playback is going to be
rolled out after a three-month trial, and apparently requires ADSL2+
minimum, so I'd think it'd be at least SDTV quality.

--
Andrew Donnellan <>< ajdlinuxATgmailDOTcom
http://linux.org.au http://ajdlinux.wordpress.com