[Linux-aus] New ABC services

Jeff Waugh jdub at bethesignal.org
Wed Mar 12 11:56:44 UTC 2008

<quote who="Andrew Donnellan">

> While of course the ABC is too far in the development of Playback and
> Downloads right now to make something more Linux-friendly, I suggest
> we start a bit of petitioning and formal complaining about it.

See recent discussions on the SLUG list (perhaps slug-chat) about this,
particularly the response that James Purser received.

Do remember that it is not in taxpayer's interest to see the ABC "support
Linux platforms" because Linux has such a tiny market share -- it simply
doesn't make sense to force the ABC to support everyone's favourite niche OS
(remember that I say this as someone with deep affection for, and quite a
lot of time committed to, FLOSS desktop efforts). Of course, it *does* mean
that the ABC should aspire to support open standards, which would provide
access to (hopefully but not definitely) all.

So, approach them politely (not "complaining" but "encouraging") and without
hyperbole to suggest that you would like to use their service, and that
perhaps they ought to consider adopting open standards solutions to ensure
open access to their services.

(If you don't want to use their service, don't bother... and if you only
have time to regurgitate form letters, DEFINITELY don't bother!)

Rock on,

- Jeff

--
GUADEC 2008: Istanbul, Turkey                         http://www.guadec.org/

      "Life is short. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly." - Robert Doisneau