[Linux-aus] linux-aus Digest, Vol 12, Issue 4

Karl Goetz karl at kgoetz.id.au
Fri Mar 7 12:49:32 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 14:20 +1100, James Collier wrote:
> Thanks for your advice everyone.
> Immediately after sending my request to this mailing list I contacted Monash IT Services by email:

< trim emails >.

> David Lloyd > May I suggest a reason why the free software community
> dislike non-free licenses? Because they cheat users! They cheat us, we
> provide each other with the 4 basic freedoms of the GNU GPL. Non-free
> licenses remove freedoms.

The GPL isnt the be-all and end all of free software, fwiw. Its
particularly hard to mix with works under other licences, and that makes
it restrictive of peoples freeom to use source under a different licence
(the fuss with cdrtools springs to mind - GPL+CDDL)

> So let me close with a question to you: Why shouldn't we fight for our
> freedom? www.gnu.org

So... when'll you be switching to gNewSense? :)
http://www.gnewsense.org

> Once again, thanks to everyone else. I do intend to do something about
> this. I'm certainly not happy with the reply I received.
> I'll be printing some posters hopefully this weekend.

good luck,
kk

--
Karl Goetz,
Debian user / Ubuntu contributor / gNewSense contributor