[Linux-aus] Grant proposal: Software Freedom Day CDs for Australia

Patrick Coleman blinken at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 18:24:17 EST 2008

On 6/28/08, Paul Wayper <paulway at mabula.net> wrote:

>  Mike Carden showed me a disk he'd picked up from the Perth Linux Users Group
>  that they did for SFD 2007.  It had a great cardboard sleeve with helpful
>  instructions, plenty of information, and it was neatly recyclable too.

Good to hear someone liked it. I believe we got about 4500 disks, and
the cost was approximately $1 per disk with the sleeve. We didn't
order it, though - WASP (our sponsor) did, so I don't have the precise
details. I can get them if you want.

As for ordering 5000, we gave away 1000 CDs a day with 5 people over
three days in three different locations.  In Perth, population <<
$capitals (the secret, if people haven't discovered this already, is
balloons - you get *mobbed* by families. You then give them a CD
*before* you give them the balloon, and you're set :). To be honest,
you'd be nuts to get anything less than 40,000 nationally. This is
very much the point of doing a bulk order, if I've been following the
discussion right?

A cardboard sleeve looks really good; I have about 250 left over here
and can post them or photo them if anyone needs convincing and wants
some to see what they look like. You can put information on it, the
perceived value is higher (people are more likely to take it), and so
hopefully stick the thing into their computers and try it out.

If anyone wants the artwork (in SVG, so it can be updated) then I
probably still have that too.

Cheers,

Patrick

--