[Linux-aus] Grant proposal: Software Freedom Day CDs for Australia

Martin Visser martinvisser99 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 12:18:10 EST 2008

Maybe this is dumb observation, but what is wrong with asking for a gold
coin donation when we give out CDs that LA pays for. This does 2 things :-

1. It probably helps people at least consider whether it will just be a
frisbee or ballast for their showbag - it at least gives it some value.
2. By mentioning that media does cost real dollars, but the software is
freem  it helps distinguish between the concept of "free as in beer and free
as in speech". We can still certainly emphasise that they can make as many
copies as they want legally to give away to their friends.

I know that once we start selling something at a conference or show, we may
have issues with booth prices etc - hence to insist it is a donation only to
help cover media costs - not that you are paying for the software.

My $0.02 worth,

Martin

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 8:08 PM, Sridhar Dhanapalan <sridhar at dhanapalan.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 at 22:58, Paul Wayper <paulway at mabula.net> wrote:
> > Sridar has also dealt with Media Movers in Sydney that is happy to form a
> > business relationship in future and would give us a good price in return
> > for having their logo on the CDs.  Their price to print 1000 CDs was $650
> > for CDs in a plastic sleeve.  Sridar, can you get us prices for the range
> > of volumes we're talking about above, preferably printed locally and in
> > paper envelopes?
>
> Media Movers have been good with us. Fedora and the OpenEducationDisc came
> out
> fantastically.
>
> I did make a mistake with the quote: it was $650 excluding GST, so $715
> with
> GST. That's still the cheapest price I've seen.
>
> I'll see what they'll charge for larger quantities and report back.
>
> Cheers,
> Sridhar
>

> --
> "There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
>        - Ken Olson, President, Chairman and Founder
>                of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977.

Regards, Martin

Martin Visser