[Linux-aus] Grant proposal: Software Freedom Day CDs for Australia

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Sat Jun 14 20:04:10 EST 2008

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 at 12:04, Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net> wrote:
> Steve Walsh <steve at nerdvana.org.au> writes:
> > Arjen Lentz wrote:
> >> I'd be in favour of that. Ubuntu is like the only non-frisbie Linux
> >> distro IMHO, at least right now. I don't think Fedora cuts it in that
> >> sense
> >
> > At Cebit 2008, the ratio of requests for Fedora 9 CD vs requests for
> > Ubuntu CD's were about 4 to 1.
>
> Interesting.  Do you have any idea why there was the discrepancy, or any
> feedback from the requesters about why they were (dis)interested?

The folks at the Red Hat stand were directing visitors to us, to get their
Fedora fix.

LA funded the printing of ~2400 Fedora discs, which meant that we had far more
of those than we did Ubuntu. If people didn't specify a distro when
requesting a CD, we usually defaulted to Fedora.

We by no means gave away all of our discs, so we have quite a few left over
for the Education Expo.

--
"I am ready to resist by whatever means, even at the cost of my life, so that
this may serve as a lesson to the ignominious history of those who use force
not reason." - Chilean President Salvador Allende, September 11, 1973