[Linux-aus] List down? - was Re: technology alphabet

Simon Lyall simon at darkmere.gen.nz
Fri Jul 25 08:14:16 EST 2008

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008, Bret Busby wrote:
> I posted a reply to the above message, about 8 hours ago, and have not
> received a copy distributed by the list.

The list probably has "nodupes" enabled:

The "nodupes" option tries to make sure that subscribers only receive one
copy of a given message. It can sometimes be useful: it prevents
recipients from receiving two copies of a message when someone on the list
uses "Reply to All" to reply to a list message, for example. (That's
because if subscriber1 at example.com sends a message to list at example.com,
then subscriber2 at example.com receives that message and clicks "Reply to
All", the reply would be sent "To: subscriber1 at example.com; CC:
list at example.com". That would normally cause subscriber1 at example.com to
receive two copies: one directly from the mail program of
subscriber2 at example.com, and one from the list server. The "nodupes"
setting prevents the list server copy from being sent.)  [1]

> I realise that this is australia, and things happebn slowly in
> australia, but something seems to be wrong.

Yeah, there are some slow things in Australia but this doesn't appear to
be one of them.

[1] - From http://www.support.tigertech.net/mailman-nodupes

--
Simon Lyall  |  Very Busy  |  Web: http://www.darkmere.gen.nz/
"To stay awake all night adds a day to your life" - Stilgar | eMT.