[Linux-aus] technology alphabet

Jeff Waugh jdub at bethesignal.org
Tue Jul 22 13:39:20 EST 2008

<quote who="Donna Benjamin">

> A - Audacity, Abiword, Asterisk

Nice list! I was about to procrastinate on the same thing. ;-)

Some tactical additions... and given we're talking about letters, some anal
retentiveness crept in. Do not use "anal" and "crept" in the same sentence.

It's funny how much valueable education and mind-expansion you can fit into
a gimmicky list such as this! Good call, Brenda.

> B - Blender, BSD, Bazaar
> C - Celestia, childsplay
> D - Dia, Dasher
> E - Eclipse
> F - Firefox, Fedora, F-spot, Freemind
> G - Gnome, Gnumeric, Gcompris

GIMP under G (everyone loves it, runs on Windows/OSX too), and I'm not sure
what that Gnome project is all about, but GNOME should definitely be on the
list. ;-)

> H - Hydrogen, hanzim
> I - Inkscape, Ingres
> J - Java, Jboss, Jahshaka

Jokosher for awesome audio love?

> K - KDE, Koffice, Koha
> L - Linux
> M - Moodle, Mozilla, MySQL,
> N - Nvu, nagios, nautilus, nethack

Nautilus is the invisible hand behind the file manager, probably not a high
enough profile as a FOSS brand (intentionally so).

> O - OpenOffice
> P - Python, Perl, PHP, Postgres
> Q - QT, qcad, quanta,

Definitely "Qt" (it's "cute" rather than "Q.T.", for wine and cheese tasting
toolkit wankeurs).

> R - Ruby, Red Hat

How about "R" for amusement (and general quality awesomeness) value?

> S - Scribus, SugarCRM, Suse
> T - Thunderbird
> U - Ubuntu
> V - VLC,vim,
> W - Wine, Weka, Wengophone, Wesnoth
> X - X-windows,xplanet

"The X Window System" or just "X". :-) I like these one letter names...

> Y - yacas, yum, ytalk
> Z - Zope, Zend

Maybe we should wikify this? Does LA have an active community wiki?

- Jeff

--
OSDC 2008: Sydney, Australia                    http://www.osdc.com.au/2008/

   "That rug really tied the room together." - The Dude, The Big Lebowski