[Linux-aus] Can you help? Feedback for female presenters to LCA

Sarah Stokely sarah.stokely at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 15:27:19 EST 2008

Hi everyone,
[crossposted to Linux Chix, Linux Australia & LCA lists, apologies if you
see this a few times.]

I'm a member of the Linux Chix list and I'm trying to encourage more women
to submit papers to LCA 2009 and I'd like your help! I'm not part of the LCA
2009 organising committee, this is not an "official" thing just something
I'm hoping a few people will be interested in helping with.

Are you an experienced technical speaker or maybe even someone who has been
on the papers committee for previous LCA conferences? I am looking for a few
volunteers who'd be willing to look at a proposal or two and give some
feedback on how to tweak the content/direction or just the presentation of
the proposal to increase its interesting-ness and chances of getting chosen
for LCA. :)

The call for papers ends fairly soon so I'd like to hear from people ASAP -
I'll  need 2 or 3 experienced techies/talk-givers to make it happen. Please
note the call for papers closes on 8 August, so if you're volunteering,
please ensure you'll have some time to review a proposal or two, make
comments and get it back fairly quickly.

The timetable I'd like to work to is:

1) You volunteer to donate a couple of hours to reviewing a proposal or two
- let me know asap please. :)
2) I start publicising this offer of help through the Australian developer
community in the next couple of days - letting interested women know they
should aim to have a draft proposal to show you by 25 July (this coming
Friday, meep!)
3) You'll get a week to look at them, and will be asked to get them back to
the proposal's author by August 1. (so they have a week to do any further
tweaking before submitting).
4) Call for papers ends on 8 August, hopefully many excellent proposals will
be submitted including a record number by women. :)

Please email me on sarah.stokely at gmail.com and let me know if you're
interested in helping out. Please let me know (a line or two will do!) your
experience in giving papers or being on paper committees, how many papers
you're willing to look at, and nominate an email address for papers to be
sent to you. Please note I'll give this address directly to the person
who'll be sending you her paper and you'll deal with each other directly.

Also - if you're a woman who is interested in getting a hand with your
proposal, please contact me and I'll try to hook you up with a volunteer. :)

Thanks.
--
Sarah Stokely
www.theopensourcereport.com