[Linux-aus] Microsoft drops prices to compete with Linux on low-cost laptops

Chris Fordham chris at xhost.com.au
Fri Jul 4 16:38:22 EST 2008

On Mon, 12 May 2008 23:10:58 +1000, David Newall <davidn at davidnewall.com>
wrote:

> Brent Wallis wrote:
>> HP will not supply XP pre-installed past June 30 this year,
>> Dell were going to do the same but have announced only last week that
>> they will do a downgrade past that date.
>> Lenovo have not announced anything yet.
>>
>> I reckon HP and IBM will follow Dell....too many sites out there that
>> would suffer if Vista was forced onto them. There are too many techs
>> in MS land that havent even looked at Vista yet..there are many apps
>> out there that just won;t work with it and probably never will.
>
> It was much the same when XP came out, when people stayed with 2000
> instead of switching to XP.  It didn't hurt MS then and it probably
> won't hurt them now, either.  I think MS Office is what drives their
> income, anyway.  People want (are convinced to get) the latest Office;
> and that drives them to the latest Windows.

I don't think its the same. XP was 5.1, and 2000 was 5.0. XP was just a
skinned win2k with a bit more.
However Vista is demanding a lot more memory and other things making
upgrade near avoidable for a lot people (and brand new low spec machines
not being able to run it decently).
And it is hurting Microsoft, that is a fact and shown in the media. They
are yet to be over-turned however because of their long establishment etc.