[Linux-aus] Final nominations for LA election

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Thu Jan 17 07:53:35 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 16:20 +0900, Bret Busby wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jan 2008, Anthony Towns wrote:
>

> > Note that either Steve or James will win the V-P position, so one of
> > them won't be running for an OCM slot, and there'll thus only be four
> > candidates left for those three slots.
> >
> > Since Steve and James are both Melbournians; that means we'll have:
> >
> > 	Melbourne:    President and Vice-President, plus OCM?
> > 	Sydney:       Secretary
> > 	Brisbane:     Treasurer, plus OCM?
> > 	Adelaide:     OCM?
> > 	Regional NSW: OCM?
> >

> Wot, no-one from WA or Tasmania?
>
> Loud raspberry!(but not quite loud enough to travel across the
> null-boar)
>
> Maybe, one day, OCM's will be one per state/territory...

Please, NO!

_REALLY_BAD_IDEA_

No one from WA stood up to the plate.  Would you have a second rater
conscripted to fill a WA spot, and suffer from not having the best
available talent do the job?  That makes as much sense as plug saying we
must have a committee member from South of the river (SOR) as well as
north of the river (NOR).  Stupid huh?  People in WA are no different
from those in Vic or NSW, just as Perth residents NOR are no different
from those SOR [1].

Lets not give states more influence than they deserve.  They are an
accident of history, and shouldn't be the basis on which we select
talent.  They have _NO_ influence on talent or desire to contribute.

Tim Bowden

[1] For those who don't understand Perth, there is an age old rivalry
between NOR and SOR, which is based on... Nothing.