[Linux-aus] [Osia-discuss] If you could ask Microsoft a question...

Con Zymaris conz at cybersource.com.au
Mon Jan 14 09:49:39 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 08:27:15PM +1100, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> On 14/01/2008, Jiri Baum <jiri at baum.com.au> wrote:
> > We could have had
> > a talk about a technology - any technology - rather than a company. Since
> > when are LUG talks titled by company rather than technology/project, anyway?
>
> Last year we had a talk by IBM, about IBM and its approach to Linux .
> It (d)evolved into a product demo of their Lotus Notes client for
> Linux, but I didn't hear many complaints about either.

Well, that could be because IBM has injected hundreds of millions of
dollars directly into Linux kernel development and hundreds of millions
more into other FOSS applications which provide additional momentum to
Linux.

I think that that affords IBM *some* leeway to lapse into product
pitches for apps which are, let's face it, there to support Linux uptake
in a corporate environment anyway, no?

Can you point me to the corresponding billions that Microsoft has
injected into the Linux ecosystem for us to afford them similar
opportunity? ;-)