[Linux-aus] [Osia-discuss] Re: If you could ask Microsoft a question , what would it be?

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Sun Jan 13 07:53:51 UTC 2008

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008, Daniel Mons <daniel.mons at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Do we have names and/or job descriptions of the Microsoft employees in
> question?
>
> The wiki says:
> "There’s a strong chance that we can have some fairly senior Microsoft
> Australia representatives at a SLUG meeting (likely January 2008). One
> shall be a business person, the others are engineers."
>
> Given the wide variety of markets Microsoft dabbles in, this means very
> little.  Even if we don't know the names of the individuals attending,
> do we at least have their respective job titles and/or areas of
> speciality?

I have requested that information, and hopefully I'll have it on Monday.
The 'business person' is Sarah Bond, whom I am told is in charge of their
OOXML efforts in Australia, amongst other things.

> I personally have strong interests in virtualisation and both high
> availability and high performance clustering.  There's a number of
> technical and political questions I'd like to ask concerning these
> specific areas, but if they are outside of the expertise of the speakers
> I'd rather let someone else's more relevant questions take up air time.

Interoperability and the Novell deal (of which virtualisation was a major
part) is one of the reasons they have given for visiting SLUG.

--
"It is this switching cost that has given the customers the patience to stick
with Windows through all our mistakes, our buggy drivers, our high TCO [total