[Linux-aus] Videoing LUG Talks

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Wed Feb 6 04:04:30 UTC 2008

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 10:15:07PM +1100, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Steven Hanley <sjh at svana.org> wrote:
> > Any LUG generated audoo or video content can be hosted on the Linux
> > Austrlia Mirror. If you happen to have some simply send en amil to
> > mirroring at lists.linux.org.au and we will explain to youw how to upload the
> > content.
> My understanding is that LA will not provide LUGs with direct access to their
> mirror server.

Err, didn't Steve just say LUGs would get direct access?

> This forces LUGs to keep their own video repository,

OTOH, mirror is meant to be a mirror, so it's a Really Good Idea to
have a primary copy of the content it's hosting somewhere else, in case
ANU explodes, eg. That doesn't have to be internet connected though --
it's only needed if the mirror needs to be repopulated, and any secondary
mirrors can't do the job.

> which can
> then be mirrored by LA. I can understand why this policy might exist, but it
> presents a hassle and expense for LUGs just to get their video online. In
> fact, it's kept SLUG from putting their videos up for quite some time now.

So unless I'm misunderstanding something, this policy _doesn't_ exist.

> I'd really like to see the 'LUG in a Box' idea grow into a complete hosting
> solution[1] for LUGs to select if they wish. I'm all in favour of ways to
> (buzzword alert! ...) lower the administrative burden on local groups by
> leveraging the economies of scale that a national organisation possesses.

Don't forget cross-LUG synergies! We can leverage the buggery out of
them too!

Cheers,
aj