[Linux-aus] Linux Job Searching - was: Red Hat in Australia is hiring

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Tue Feb 5 08:48:49 UTC 2008

(CCing to the main LA list for further discussion)

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008, Russell Coker <russell at coker.com.au> wrote:
> On Thursday 31 January 2008 17:48, Sridhar Dhanapalan
> <sridhar at dhanapalan.com>
>
> wrote:
> > Linux Australia has a jobs list for this kind of thing...
>
> I believe that mailing lists are not ideal for job adverts.
>
> Mailing lists are most suited to issues where you know well in advance what
> you will be interested in receiving.  They are not well suited to rapid
> changes, and the list archives tend to be far from ideal if you want to
> browse multiple sources of data.
>
> http://etbe.coker.com.au/2007/07/06/fragmenting-information-about-jobs/
>
> The above URL has my thoughts on the best way of addressing this issue.
> Unfortunately my attempt to implement it failed and it seems that without
> support from an organisation such as LCA this can't be done.

If you need help, feel free to promote this to the new Committee, or try and
build a team around the idea.

One important thing to remember about a community is that you don't need a
Committee to get things done. Sure, it can help to have their support, but
relying on a small group of people often just creates a bottleneck.

It may sound as if I'm stating the obvious here, but my impression is that
many people (and I'm not aiming this at you in particular, Russell) expect
decisions and projects to be deigned and acted upon from above. The Committee
should be a facilitator, and maybe a co-ordinator, but expecting them to do
everything can often hinder more than help. It can even lead to burn-out
amongst Committee members, which can't be good for our leadership.

Often it's better to just JFDI :)

--
	"The number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected"
		- The UNIX Programmer's Manual, 2nd Edition, June 1972