[Linux-aus] Videoing LUG Talks

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 06:17:01 UTC 2008

> On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 09:41:17AM +1100, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> > I believe the important bit is to make sure the transcoding and upload
> is
> > happening and there is sufficient sys admin support to keep the
> published
> > video content going. Thus, it somehow ties together with the idea of
> "LUG in
> > a box" presented at the AGM.
>
> Right. I don't think we're at the point where we can give people a
> pre-packaged encoding solution though, right? Presumably most LUGs have
> a member with a box that can transcode a 30m-2h talk within a week or so.

Agreed.

> Maybe we could schedule an IRC meetup one weekend a month after the
> talks are done, for LUGs (and annodex and lca vidteam and such) to talk
> about encoding/uploading problems and work out how to fix any bugs,
> or generally smooth out the process?

There's not really much to do, but I'm happy to give advice in an irc
meeting if required.

> BTW: we recently had to purchase a new camera for SLUG and decided to go
> for
> > a Hard Disk recording camera. That avoids the tedious task of recording
> > DVD. Transcoding still has to be done and the JVC that we bought
> > unfortunately has a slightly proprietary MPEG format, so it took some
> > trickery to get it to work. But it's a much easier lot of equipment to
> > purchase. The camera cost $1530 plus you will need a decent tripod for
> min
> > $300.
>
> Hrm, camerastore.com.au (first google hit I found) has a JVC Everio
> 40GB GZ-MG575 for $1200, with apparently a 5 megapixel CCD and 9h40m
> recording time at max quality.
>

> http://www.camerastore.com.au/JVC+Everio+40gb+HDD+GZ%2DMG575_details.htm

Looks good to me. It's important that it has a microphone input, which is
where most cameras fail! And you want enough space for the recording of a
night's talks. We got the next model up - not quite sure why, but it seemed
the right decision.

Also, adding Mikal's idea of essentially putting these onto a blog, and thus
> vidcast, this more or less creates Tux TV ;)
>
> If we set a limit of $1500 or $2000 per LUG, we could do at least six
> to eight LUGs with a budget of, say, $12,000; more if some LUGs could
> do things cheaper.

Or add some of their own money.

Cheers,
Silvia.