[Linux-aus] u.s. Export Control Classification Number

Peter Miller millerp at canb.auug.org.au
Wed Aug 27 23:57:04 EST 2008

Hi Folks,

I have just had the weirdest thing land in my inbox.  The mail headers
appear to be genuine.

        In order to determine whether the software is subject to Federal
        Export Administration Regulations (EAR), we are requesting that
        you provide the Export Control Classification Number (ECCN) that
        classifies this software according to the Commerce Control List.
        This number is used to determine if an export license is
        required by the U.S. Department of Commerce in order for our
        company to export the software to our affiliates abroad and/or
        to provide access to our non-US citizen employees.

The "product" they refer to is SRecord (srecord.sf.net)

Has anyone else had to provide an ECCN for open source software?
What the heck did you reply?  "EAR99 (NLR)" ?

Google searches of this term suffer from a wealth of hits of the other
meaning of "open source".  Although it does seem that I'm not the only
project to have received and identically worded request.

Regards
Peter Miller <millerp at canb.auug.org.au>
/\/\*        http://miller.emu.id.au/pmiller/

PGP public key ID: 1024D/D0EDB64D
fingerprint = AD0A C5DF C426 4F03 5D53  2BDB 18D8 A4E2 D0ED B64D
See http://www.keyserver.net or any PGP keyserver for public key.

"The C Programming Language - A language which combines the flexibility
and power of assembly language with the readability and maintainablity
of assembly language."