[Linux-aus] LA constitution/election/terms/ctte/handove change proposal

Jonathan Oxer jon at oxer.com.au
Thu Aug 7 13:34:58 EST 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 12:57 +1000, James Turnbull wrote:
> Andrew Cowie wrote:
> | Many NGOs have a staggered rotation of multi-year terms. A typical
> | structure is 3-year terms and 1/3 of the board being up for renewal each
> | year, and usually a term limit of two or three 3-year terms.
> I like the proposal a lot.  I think it is robust and potentially solves
> a lot of continuity and stability issues.  I think a constitutional
> amendment should be drawn up that addresses the proposal.

I did. This was debated at some length previously when I proposed pretty
much that (after much discussion with Andrew and other people, I might
add: Andrew largely shaped my thinking about how the council
could/should work and what he's saying here is re-iterating what he and
other people have said a number of times before).

Basically my original intention was what Andrew outlined above, but
after that was vocally shot down on the mailing list I watered it down
dramatically to what ended up as points 3 and 4 here:

http://wiki.linux.org.au/Ctte/Constitutional_Amendments

Even that encountered a lot of opposition at the AGM at LCA in January
this year. Point 3 was rejected because it was felt that the membership
wanted to control (via the election vote process) who ended up in each
position, rather than allowing the Council to work it out internally.
Point 4 passed. (IIRC).

As a general concept I agree entirely. Getting it past a vote at an AGM
is a whole different story.

Cheers    :-)
--
Jonathan Oxer