[Linux-aus] linux.conf.au 2008: Registrations Open

Leon Brooks LinuxAus leon-linuxaus at cyberknights.com.au
Tue Oct 23 10:22:52 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 23 October 2007 08:21:54 Bret Busby wrote:
> I don't worry about things like kanji character sets or upside
> down question marks and other confusing characters.

?Si habla espanol?

An inverse '?' simply means that your email client lacked the
ability to display that character. Some of that is carelessness
on the sender's part (using "smart quotes" for example) but
the sender can hardly sit still & take the blame for everything.

Andrew's ThunderBird-on-Windows email works perfectly in
KMail-on-Ubuntu-Fiesty here, plus I've seen no other complaint
about it, so I think that democratically we've chosen the person
weilding the problem.

Since the problem will get worse as your standards remain static
& effectively obsolete, the only person with the power to resolve
such an issue is your fine self.

Try a later version of PINE, or install whatever it lacks by way
of MIME support tools, will be your most truly productive
approach, I think. That & carefully considering other email
clients, although reading between the lines, you're quite
wedded to the system by now.

A true-hearted FOSS approach would be to grab the source &
bolt on any missing pieces, then pblish the patches when it
works. That calls to mind words about hearers, doers & justice.

Cheers; Leon