[Linux-aus] linux.conf.au 2008: Registrations Open

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Tue Oct 23 07:21:54 UTC 2007

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007, Andrew Pam wrote:

> Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 19:35:04 +0930
> From: Andrew Pam <xanni at glasswings.com.au>

Ah, does that mean that you are using Thunderbird running on Windows?

Hmmmm!

> Bret Busby wrote:
> > As you have included part of the header text, if you look at the full
> > header of the message that I posted, you would see that I am using the
> > latest version (as far as I am aware) of the email application that I
> > am using.
>
> It looks like you're using pine, which apparently doesn't have base64
> and Unicode support and is not MIME-compliant.  I recommend mutt which
> is backwards-compatible with pine and has optional pine keybindings.

But, PINE is very powerful, and now quite stable.

In not interpreting weird characters and weird functionality, it tends
to display viruses as the machine code rather than activating the virus.

PINE is (relatively) safe.

And, with dealing with a couple of hundred mailing lists, and, a few
hundred mail filters, some with pages of filter values, it is quite
useful, and suits me reasonably well.

I'd rather sit on a rock, than on plasticine.

And, as you may well know, PINE is older than the Internet, dating back
to ARPANET, so it is old and established, and, solid, like a rock.

Oh, and, in relation to the multi-lingual aspects of other MUA's, I can
only communicate in English, and the only other language of which I know
a little, Latin  (and, I know only a very little of that), uses much
the same characters (or, a subset of the English characters, anyway), so
I don't worry about things like kanji character sets or upside down
question marks and other confusing characters.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

  you'll know what the answer means."