[Linux-aus] linux.conf.au 2008: Registrations Open

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Mon Oct 22 19:32:10 UTC 2007

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007, Andrew Pam wrote:

> Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 15:10:39 +0930
> From: Andrew Pam <xanni at glasswings.com.au>
> To: Bret Busby <bret at busby.net>
> Cc: Linux Australia <linux-aus at linux.org.au>
> Subject: Re: [Linux-aus] linux.conf.au 2008: Registrations Open
>
> Bret Busby wrote:
>
>> If only the list software restricted distribution of messages, to plain
>> ASCII text messages...
>
> Looks like plain UTF-8 text to me.  Is your software not capable of decoding
> base64 encoding?  Maybe it's time for an upgrade?
>
> Regards,
> 	Andrew

As you have included part of the header text, if you look at the full
header of the message that I posted, you would see that I am using the
latest version (as far as I am aware) of the email application that I
am using.

When I tried to forward either of the two messages, due to the format of
the messages, one apparently displayed as machine code, and the other
would only forward as an attachment, and not inline.

And, that is apart from the unreadable characters.

I suppose it is a bit like writing web sites so that they are only
accessible using Internet Explorer - it may suit the objectives of
whoever owns the web site (such as some international airlines, who
appear to have the attitude "If you don't use Microsoft Windows, then
we don't want you to fly with us, as flying with us is only as safe
and reliable as using Microsoft Windows), but, it does not facilitate,
and is not conducive to, communication, due to restricting access.

If the objective is to promote something within the Linux community,
and, outside the Linux community, surely, it is more conducive, to use
message formatting that is universally readable, as is plain ASCII text.

If Linux events are to be resticted to particular interest groups, such
as evolution users, and discourage others, then, so be it.

But, I had expected that the objective would be to encourage all,
regardless of email application or operating system used, so as to make
such events more open and inclusive.

A note: I was sent a copy of one of the mesages direct, off-list, but
many of the characters are unreadable.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale