[Linux-aus] Open Source in Education

Pia Waugh greebo at pipka.org
Sat Nov 3 10:28:01 UTC 2007

Hi Josh,

<quote who="Joshua Hesketh">

> I am interested in open source in the education departments and I would
> be interested in researching the total cost of ownership. I have found a
> few documents on the Internet but they have been rather vague and I was
> wondering if somebody could point me towards any useful resources.

Check out:

  http://ask-oss.mq.edu.au/

there are heaps of resources there that are really useful. I know because I
put them all together there :)

> As a starting point I couldn't find anywhere a definitive price on
> Microsoft products for schools (since I am aware they get a discount).

I believe that the MS bills for Australia public schools is somewhere above
$30m per year. Dr Kathryn Moyle has done a lot of work on that. You'll find
her work on the ASK-OSS website.

Cheers,
Pia

--
Waugh Partners

  m. +61 400 966 453
  p. +61 2 9318 0284
  f. +61 2 9318 2884
  w. http://waughpartners.com.au/

Open Source: Strategic Consulting, Industry Development, Research & Analysis