[Linux-aus] Marketing Linux

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Tue May 29 17:24:10 UTC 2007

Jon 'maddog' Hall wrote:

(I apologize if this restarts this thread, but it seems worth mentioning
that such marketing campaigns need to take into account the possible
worst case.)

> And finally, something that no one else seems to have mentioned:
>
> o what happens if the sponsored car looses, comes in last, crashes and
> burns, etc.

It would seem maddog has supernatural powers...

"Linux fans didn't exactly get the publicity they were hoping for at the
Indianapolis 500 on Sunday, when the so-called "Linux car" they had
sponsored proved to be the first in the race to crash, ultimately
causing it to finish dead last. The car was the result of the Tux 500
campaign, which raised enough money to put the familiar Tux mascot front
and center on Chastain Motorsports' #77 car in the hope that it'd raise
the profile of the OS. Faring considerably better in the publicity
department was Joost, which sponsored the car that wound up finishing a
respectable seventh. Maybe next time the Linux folks should work on
making the whole car open source."

(http://feeds.engadget.com/~r/weblogsinc/engadget/~3/120543832/)

So there we go.

Mikal