[Linux-aus] Secret MS Business Visits.....

Brent Wallis brent.wallis at gmail.com
Sat May 26 04:06:49 UTC 2007

Hi All,

(Some may wish to tag this as "zelatrous paranoia" ...;-)

Want to flag a theory I have harboured for the last three federal elections.

Perhaps you could help me clarify some data..help me prove or disprove
my hypothesis....;-)

1. The last 2 federal elections have been preceeded by a "secret" and
or "short notice" visit from the top guys in Microsoft...the last 2,
it was BG.

2. Each of these 2 visits have seemed to be approximately 3 months out
from a federal election.

3. Each visit has been focussed on Canberra...but the press is
generally coy on detail.

4. After a "suitable" time period after the visit , the MS guys make a
press release that indicates some sort of negotiated deal with the
federal government that is philanthropic in it's intent.........last
election it was $40m odd AUD for Office software in schools...cant't
remember that eact nature of the previous one.

5. The new top gent at MS has just executed a visit not unlike the
other 2.....the timing follows a similar pattern...i.e: 3 mths approx
prior to a federal election.

6. BG's topic "du jour" during his last visit was to lament the poor
state of broadband in Australia....The latest visit had the same
"main" message.

Here is what I expect will happen within 8 weeks:

The IT (and possibly main stream ) press will run a story with intent
to communicate the following broad concepts:

- MS and the Australian Federal Government are good "friends"
- MS and the Australian Federal Government agree in some way that the
FTA and IP rights are a great thing but will directly avoid any hint
of "patent trollism".....
- MS love Australia (and possibly JH.....)so much, that they have
decided to give $XXX away in perceived profit in order to bolster
cause "XYZ" and/or for the sake of close and valuable
friendships........

Any bets?..;-)

Rgds
BW