[Linux-aus] Academics and FLOSS

Andrew Swinn andrew at swinndesign.com
Fri May 25 06:11:54 UTC 2007

Harry Woodward-Clarke wrote:
> My suggestion then - and still is - use PDF. That way, whatever the
> student 'prints' to PDF will be rendered (pretty much) the same no
> matter what device it comes out on (paper sizes not withstanding).
>
> In the end, I asked my lecturers if they would accept my submissions in
> PDF via email, and I would submit a one page 'text' "coversheet"
> explaining (as a memory jogger) to the lecturer that, per our agreement,
> the actual assignment was in his 'Inbox'. Worked well.

I have been trying to prod a bit to get the PDF format setup with their
submissions system. There is plenty of open source software that could
handle the printing for them. It will either be PDF direct to teacher by
negotiation or hard copy printed.

> hmmm... not sure about "free" - perhaps it's different in Vic. I work in
> TAFE NSW, and while there is a Statewide license for "Staff", students
> are still required to purchase (all be it a ridiculously low prices) a
> copy of MS-Office for home use - they use it all the time on Campus, of
> course. Unfortunately for some, TAFE students -don't- qualify for the
> "itsnotcheating" $70 deal (I direct them towards OOo :')

My comment was in regard to being freely available at school. We each
have out own PC for project use and can choose what to pop on while we
are busy blue screening that family favourite. I can pretty well bet
most of the students who are running it at home are doing so non-genuinely.

> So, back to your assignments at "ChuckU" - talk to the lecturer. Both
> the Wagga* and Bathurst guys are willing to talk, and indeed, some are
> quite pro FOSS (one in Wagga* particularly - he's been using OpenSource
> since before there was Linux).

I hope I run into these pro-OS peoples. Makes life much easier. :)

> kind reg's and all the best for the studies,

Thank ye.

Andrew