[Linux-aus] Just give me a minute ...

Paul Antoine pma-la at milleng.com.au
Thu May 24 14:02:18 UTC 2007

Welcome Don!

Don Knowles wrote:
> So, I'm a sort of ham-fisted self-made Linux user.
> I'm not a programmer, in fact I doubt I could write a shell-script to
> save my life ... or even print "HELP" onscreen :-)

You'd be surprised what one can learn if determined enough :-)  I'm a
member of a model railway club where one 73 year old member decided to
teach himself programming and 3 years after he started he is now
regularly programming PIC microcontrollers in assembly language!

Encouraged by his willingness to try new technology, I'm encouraging him
to move from his old Win98 system to Ubuntu, at which I dare say he will
be very adept in a year or two!  I'm also re-purposing an old computer
with Ubuntu for the club's library computer... so there's lots one can
do to benefit others with FOSS.

> Thanks to all those who made encouraging remarks, I'll stick around
> and see if I can make a viable contribution. RockLUG anyone?

Stick around... we're a nice supportive bunch... really!

RockLUG sounds like a great idea.  I dare say there are plenty of
disadvantaged/disenfranchised folks and maybe even the local library or
schools where your knowledge of FOSS would be a great contribution to
your local community. I've found Ubuntu to be particularly good for more
novice/Win-centric folks.

Again, welcome.

Paul (approx. 3500km(?) away in Perth)