[Linux-aus] Listless and Sagging

Richard Neal linuser at tpg.com.au
Wed May 23 15:04:40 UTC 2007

> What I can say is after so many years I have managed to finally exile MS

Welcome to the club.

> My desktop dist of choice is Kubuntu.

Yeah I love kubuntu (I also like XFCE).

> KDE seems to leave a lot of its configuration up to the user, not the
> developer. Shrug, I do enjoy firing up vi to hack away at customising my
> Linux platforms but when it comes to eye candy I much prefer to point
> and click.

I try Gnome every 6 months and I have the same complaint.

> My Server dist is and has been for 10 years now debian. I want my server
> to run and run and run.

Debian is by far one of the better distro's out there for servers (I use it
too).

> The amazing thing about running Kubuntu on my lappys and Desktop is none
> of my family has complained... In fact 2 years back when I dropped Linux
> from my main desktop box the wife complained bitterly. So much so that I
> ended up dual booting it. That vanished when I finally managed to get
> all of my peripherals running under Linux. Bye Bye windows.

I was the same, kept a Windows partition for 6 months, didnt dual boot for 6
weeks at one time then decided to update and remove the Windows partition and
put the space to better use.

> It makes me sick to think that all of the pain and heart ache us "geeks"
> feel comes down to the pure greed of just a few people. "Trusted
> Computing", its almost an insult to everything FOSS stands for.

Linux is has so much momentum now it has become a "market" in itself so
manufacturers will make systems (or lose market share) were the "trusted
computing" (that has to be an oxymoron who trusts big companies ) feature can
be disabled in the bios (or is doesn't exist).

> Ok.. there is my rant on Linux, FOSS and their Nemesis's. (Or is that
> nemisii?...)

Your welcome

Richard Neal