[Linux-aus] An Open Letter to the Open Source Community

Richard Neal linuser at tpg.com.au
Wed May 23 14:37:51 UTC 2007

On Wed, 23 May 2007 11:42:54 pm gareth wrote:
> Melissa Draper wrote:
> > Richard Neal wrote:
>
> /cut: some crap
>
> >> PS Also get thicker skin, I was the only male in an all female work
> >> place for 14 years and sexist remarks were common, I never took them
> >> personally
> >
> > Thank You once again, for proving my point in its entirety. This is
> > *exactly* the sort of attitude a woman often comes up against when she
> > needs a harasser or creepy individual stalking her, to be stopped by
> > those who can. This is *exactly* the sort of attitude I am trying to
> > discourage.

Love how you removed the previous paragraphs almost like they doesnt exist
then trail blazed down the road of stupidity.

No, Im saying learn to communicate and at the same time learn that "tolerence"
is a tool for change, screaming at someone will not change anything (makes it
worse), communicating and being tolerant will.

Im not saying "ignore the whole issue" , just dont be a bull in a china shop
and learn to negotiate with the other party on a level they understand, this
means you have to be thick skinned because change may not happen straight
away but if your patient they will change if you play it right.

> Richard:
> Who are the main perpetrators of violence? Men.

Actually both sex's can be violent in a relationships, its just that female on
male violence is often ignored or laughed at when bought to the for.

In fact i remember a few years back a study done by a "female" researcher on
lesbian relationships found that violence in same sex female relationships
were just as bad or even worse than hetro (she also found female on male
violence was far more common than reported). After she wrote the book she had
to get a body guard because feminists used to attack her at meetings
discussing the book.

> Who has to keep organising and marching and pushing for violence against
> Women to stop? Women.

Who fights against social ignorance of females assaulting males aah yes "men's
groups or movements", yes they do exist and it "is a problem".

> Women will have to stand alone and in small numbers until more Men stand
> with them and not against them.

I don't see any females putting their hands up when males complain about
violence perpetrated by females either.

There are plenty of males (me included) that stand up for the fairer sex.

> You want to treat be treated like an equal Richard? Start acting like one.

I never said anyone was less or more equal, read my first paragraph.

> Why can't you just say you stand with them?

Are you trying to infer I stand against them ? At no point have I mentioned
it,  are you actually reading what Im writing ? or just making it up as you
go to make yourself look good.