[Linux-aus] An Open Letter to the Open Source Community

Richard Neal linuser at tpg.com.au
Wed May 23 11:45:54 UTC 2007

Before I let loose on this subject let me explain my personal position.

Everyone has the right to be treated with respect and courtesy and deserves
not to be judged or have inferred labels or beliefs forced upon them by
anyone be they male, female or other.

I can see were your coming from but as a proud "male" who is also proud to "be
male" with all the qualms and limitations that the tag comes with I cant help
but feel slighted by your diatribe on this list.

For starters "both sex's" can be sexist, and just because your "female"
doesn't mean your the only one to suffer from this issue.

I also find it insulting how you define "normal" almost like your trying to
infer all males are knuckle dragging apes, your last paragraph were you use a
sexist statistic as a bludgeon is a classic.

A good opposing example is males make up 0.5% of knitting clubs are all males
being locked out ? or could is it because  males due to gender or cultural
differences don't really have much interest in knitting ?

If you have issues with individuals then talk to them and learn communicate
don't jump onto a mailing list and try and infere some huge male conspiracy
while at the same time painting all with the same brush.

So as a male, I'm sorry if any members either male or female have insulted you
but please refrain from inferring we agree or support this in any way.

PS Also get thicker skin, I was the only male in an all female work place for
14 years and sexist remarks were common, I never took them personally

Richard Neal

"Proud to be male".