[Linux-aus] An Open Letter to the Open Source Community

Melissa Draper melissa at meldraweb.com
Wed May 23 12:36:10 UTC 2007

Richard Neal wrote:
> Before I let loose on this subject let me explain my personal position.
>
> Everyone has the right to be treated with respect and courtesy and deserves
> not to be judged or have inferred labels or beliefs forced upon them by
> anyone be they male, female or other.
>
> I can see were your coming from but as a proud "male" who is also proud to "be
> male" with all the qualms and limitations that the tag comes with I cant help
> but feel slighted by your diatribe on this list.

No, I do not think you do. See reasoning below.

> For starters "both sex's" can be sexist, and just because your "female"
> doesn't mean your the only one to suffer from this issue.

I never said they were not. Actually, if you had have read my letter
properly, you would have noticed:

"Unfortunately, there is no single demographic guilty of these
behaviours, as they are not solely perpetrated by Men. Yes, you heard me
correctly - some women are guilty also!"

> I also find it insulting how you define "normal" almost like your trying to
> infer all males are knuckle dragging apes, your last paragraph were you use a
> sexist statistic as a bludgeon is a classic.

Hmm. Are we talking about the same text? I did not define "normal" at
any time in my letter.

> A good opposing example is males make up 0.5% of knitting clubs are all males
> being locked out ? or could is it because  males due to gender or cultural
> differences don't really have much interest in knitting ?

And this makes it ok? I think not. While I am not a knitter, let alone a
male one, I encourage everyone to pursue the activities that interest
them. If men are feeling excluded from this pursuit, then they should
most certainly stick up for their beliefs. Like I am.

This is the classic cycle of abuse model. It will not, and cannot
change, unless the cycle is broken somewhere. This is what I am trying
to do.

> If you have issues with individuals then talk to them and learn communicate
> don't jump onto a mailing list and try and infere some huge male conspiracy
> while at the same time painting all with the same brush.

And how, dear Sir, am I to communicate to the anonymous populace of the
internet, or people who I've never met and never will meet, but have as
much control of the situation as those who I can meet and have met. I am
pretty sure that this was a fine start to such a challenge.

> So as a male, I'm sorry if any members either male or female have insulted you
> but please refrain from inferring we agree or support this in any way.

I find this accusation insulting. I inferred no such thing. I requested.

You may want to apologise again.

> PS Also get thicker skin, I was the only male in an all female work place for
> 14 years and sexist remarks were common, I never took them personally

Thank You once again, for proving my point in its entirety. This is
*exactly* the sort of attitude a woman often comes up against when she
needs a harasser or creepy individual stalking her, to be stopped by
those who can. This is *exactly* the sort of attitude I am trying to
discourage.

--
Sincerely
Melissa Draper