[Linux-aus] How can we address gender imbalance in LA/AU-FLOSS? (Was: An Open Letter to the Open Source Community)

Nathan Bailey Nathan.Bailey at its.monash.edu
Wed May 23 11:29:07 UTC 2007

On 23/05/2007, at 1:27 PM, Bret Busby wrote:
> In the proposed restructuring of Linux Australia, does this mean
> that it will have a "womens interest group" (but not a "men's
> interest group"), and a "womens representative", "but not a "men's
> representative", on the "governing council", ... (snip)

An interesting idea. Perhaps we should.

Until at least 30-40% of the FLOSS community are women, we, as one of
the leading FLOSS groups in Australia, should be leading the effort
into investigating and resolving the imbalance. Perhaps we should
fund Catherine Lang to help us. Catherine is the ACM-W Australian
Ambassador, helps to lead http://www.austwic.org/ and researches in
this area. It would be interesting to see what she could do to help
us understand the local problems and give us some strategies to
implement that are well-informed from international research/experience.

pp7-8 of the PDF Melissa quoted (http://www.flosspols.org/
deliverables/FLOSSPOLS-D16-Gender_Integrated_Report_of_Findings.pdf)
provides some recommendations. Why don't brainstorm what we can do to
be more inclusive, to apply these recommendations in our community/
country. We could even fund a grant for Catherine (or others) to
further investigate the issues, providing a local perspective and
more specific recommendations. I wouldn't be surprised if we could
get some matching funds from the government.

Who would like to be involved in such a project/initiative?

re,
PS: James and Andrew, I preferred your argument to the previous major
one on the list, which was similar, but less amusing :-)