[Linux-aus] An Open Letter to the Open Source Community

Ambrose Andrews ambrose at vrvl.net
Wed May 23 04:11:33 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 11:27 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

> The above basically just says "Don't give us a hard time because we are
> female".
>
> If that is all there is to it, then there doesn't seem to be any
> significant problem, that is specific to Linux, to open source, or to
> ccomputing, and, if the "problem" is not limited to Linux or the Linux
> community, then is is not appropriate for this list, unless
> misogynistic actions have been taken, or misogynistic comments have
> been made, on this list.

So the only legitimate subject of this list is....  this list?

Then if we didn't have this list, we wouldn't need to have this list!

Let's get rid of this list.

I thought the subject of this list was broadly the Free Software / Open
Source movement in .au.

That makes the comments quite relevant to this list:

"""
Currently, according to FLOSSpols, in 2006, the average female
representation in Open Source is 1.5%. This is compared to 28% female
representation in the proprietary software industry. You can read the
FLOSSpols report at
http://www.flosspols.org/deliverables/FLOSSPOLS-D16-Gender_Integrated_Report_of_Findings.pdf
"""

> Have either of those occurred? I have not seen any references to any
> incidents having occurred.
>
> I am not aware of action having been taken on this list, or comments
> having been made, to sexually harass any females, or to belittle
> females.
>
> Problems with the above message are highlighted with parts like the
> "don't ask us out on a date, if we use open source".
>
> The message above seems to say "If we are females in computing, don't
> treat us as humans - don't ask us out on dates, don't joke with us,
> don't talk to us".

Only if you don't read what it actually says, but read instead an absurd
construction from the depths of your own imagination.

> It also sounds like "don't smile at any female involved with Linux, as
> it is clearly indicating making a "sexual move" on the female".

Ridiculous.

> Next, we will be getting "don't hire a computer person, unless the
> person is female, until at least 35% of all computing people are
> female".
>
> ALL people should be treated equally with respect.
>
> This is starting to sound like the proverbial "All animals are equal,
> and some are more equal than others".

So if I were, say, to sugest that racism is a bad thing and should be
conciously addressed, even pointing out actual evidence of the former
and helpful hints regarding th latter, the next step would be GULAGS,
and CIVIL WAR, rght?

> If the list is going to become a feminist "all men are evil" forum,
> without any substance, then it has digressed from its purpose, and has
> become the tool of an unrepresentative part of the Linux community in
> Australia.

This is beyond ridiculous.  If the mere suggestion that there might be
positive potential in our community meets with such a paranoid, hostile
and frankly irrational reaction, then I suspect the point of necessity
of and legitimacy of the original post is greatly reinfored.

> In the proposed restructuring of Linux Australia, does this mean that it
> will have a "womens interest group" (but not a "men's interest group"),
> and a "womens representative", "but not a "men's representative", on the
> "governing council", and become an instrument for feminists, or, will
> Linux Australiabe an organisation, the policies and objectives of which,
> relate to Linux and the Linux community, in TOTAL, in Australia?
>
> --
> Bret Busby
> Armadale
> West Australia
>
> "So once you do know what the question actually is,
>   you'll know what the answer means."
> - Deep Thought,
>    Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
>    "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
>    A Trilogy In Four Parts",
>    written by Douglas Adams,
>    published by Pan Books, 1992

Ambrose Andrews
LPO box 8274 ANU Canberra ACT 2601 Australia
http://www.vrvl.net/~ambrose/
mailto:ambrose at vrvl.net
home:+61_262305976
work:+61_261256749
mobile:+61_415544621
irc:{undernet|freenode|oftc}:znalo
xmpp:ambrose at jabber.fsfe.org
sip:znalo at ekiga.net
CE38 8B79 C0A7 DF4A 4F54  E352 2647 19A1 DB3B F823
556A 6D19 0904 827C 9DB8  3697 32D0 1E11 403F 2BE1