[Linux-aus] FOSS patent infringements

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Wed May 16 09:45:14 UTC 2007

On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 10:21:41AM +0930, Janet Hawtin wrote:
> It does beggar belief that patent proponents do still promote the
> system as a means to promote innovation and still deny that it is a
> means to quash others in your market space.

The theory is that it promotes innovation *by providing* a means to
quash others in your market space.

In particular, it's meant to quash uncreative people that just try to copy
what creative people do, to get all the reward for none of the effort.

So I'd be surprised if you find people who "deny that it is a means to
quash others in your market space", but it's pretty easy to find people
who think that's nevertheless a good thing.

Cheers,
a "know your enemy" j