[Linux-aus] Marketing Linux

linuxaus.1.tracyanne at spamgourmet.com linuxaus.1.tracyanne at spamgourmet.com
Tue May 15 10:01:02 UTC 2007

> I am also unconvinced that sponsorship of Indy cars will benefit AU in the
short term, or even the long term.

I happen to believe that if Desktop Linux becomes available in the US, the
computer builbers will offer desktop Linux in Australia. But they won't do so
if they do not perceive a market in the US.

>If I have read this thread correctly your an Australian in Australia,
why not sponsor local cars in local motorsport?

No one in Australia has asked me to help them raise such funds. Ken did
after we met on lxer. I believe we need to market Linux, and i see this
as a first step.

>Even V8 Super car is less money per season than IndyCar,
surely its going to target directly that audiance in AU where we are?

Great someone put the project together, and I'll do all the emailing I can
to bring it to the attention of as many people as I can.

>Why did Tux500 hit the net at the same time as Vista500?

You've got the chronology back to front.

>Whos actual marketing budget are you on?

No one's, I do this in my spare time. I do it because I believe it's the right
thing to do. I do this because I want Desktop Linux to succeed. I do this because
It's the only thing I can do to give back to the community.

I'm not some L33t G33k like the rest of you, I can't write kernel code, or scare
up some perl script, or even half decent PHP. So I do what I can.

Mostly I just tell people about Linux, about how good it is as a Desktop computer.
I write about it on social network sites mostly, and have managed to get a number
of people to give it a try, but I don't see Linux becoming ubiquitous anytime soon
that way - "world domination one desktop at a time" - won't see Linux on very many
desktops in my lifetime. This it is the first time I've spent any serious time
on a mailing list, I don't as a rule because people on Mailing lists tend to
discuss stuff I find quite boring.

I believe that if the US public become sufficiently interested in Linux that they
purchase preinstalled Linux, the tier 1 computer companies will market Linux
Desktop computers in Australia. They won't do that untill they are sure their main
market is profitable. That's why I believe doing this in the US is so important.

I want to be able to go to a retail store and buy a Linux computer, that just works.
I don't want to have to do lots of homework to make sure the hardware will work
with Linux, I don't want to have to buy a computer that has Windows on it, and then
install Linux over the top, like I've had to do with nearly every computer I've
owned. I want what my favourite OS to be as available as every other OS. I want
my neighbour, my son, my daughter to be able to walk into Harvey Norman or Chandlers
or whatever and be able to walk out with a Linux computer.

regards

Tracyanne