[Linux-aus] No copyright for "functional" works?

Paul Antoine pma-la at milleng.com.au
Tue May 15 03:50:50 UTC 2007

Neill,

To my knowledge this applies to hardware designs too.  My circuit board
*artwork* and the schematics are copyright, as is the firmware/software
(in some jurisdictions), but NOT the design itself as it would be
"obvious to a person skilled in the art", and not renderable on paper or
recordable media accepted by the courts :-)

So in the case of the boat builder it would be the design drawings
themselves that are copyrighted, not the instantiation of them in the
form of the boat.

P.